What is Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and how does it have to paid?

The Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) is a tax paid for a nightly stay for a lodging establishment within the City. 

The owner and/or the owner’s authorized agent or representative shall comply with all provisions of Chapter 3.24 (Transient Occupancy Tax) of the Murrieta Municipal Code concerning the payment of Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT), including, but not limited to, submission of a monthly reporting and remitting requirements in compliance with Section 3.24.080 of the Murrieta Municipal Code, which shall be required to be filed monthly even if the short-term vacation rental was not rented during such month. 

This calculation shall include “cleaning fees”, “resort fees”, and “other” fees as part of the total “rent” charged for the short-term vacation rental.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Short-Term Vacation Rental (STVR)?
2. What are my responsibilities as a Short-Term Vacation Rental (STVR) host and operator?
3. Where can I report an issue with neighboring Short-Term Vacation Rental (Noise, Parking, Trash, etc.)?
4. Where are Short-Term Vacation Rentals allowed in the City?
5. How many are allowed?
6. How can I apply for a Short-Term Vacation Rental permit?
7. What is the cost?
8. How many overnight Short-Term Vacation Rental occupants can stay at my Short-Term Vacation Rental?
9. How many daytime guests are allowed?
10. Where does the Short-Term Vacation Rental Permit Number have to be posted?
11. How much parking is required with operating a Short-Term Vacation Rental?
12. Where does parking for the Short-Term Vacation Rental have to be located and what has to be displayed?
13. What is Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and how does it have to paid?
14. What is the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) rate?
15. How long is my Short-Term Vacation Rental Permit good for?
16. If I sell my property, can I transfer the existing Short-Term Vacation Rental Permit?
17. Do I have to notify my neighbors with Permit approval?