CITY OF MURRIETA
CITY CLERK’S NOTICE/CERTIFICATE OF FACTS
NOVEMBER 8, 2022 GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION
THE FOLLOWING IS A NOTICE/CERTIFICATE OF FACTS PURSUANT TO CALIFORNIA ELECTIONS CODE §10229:
- On June 21, 2022 the City Council of the City of Murrieta adopted Resolution No. 22-4593, Calling for the Holding of a General Municipal Election to be Held on Tuesday, November 8, 2022, for the election of three City Council Members.
- The three (3) City Council Member seats for purposes of the election, represent Districts 1, 2, and 5, respectively, for the full term of four (4) years.
- On July 5, 2022, the City Clerk/Local Elections Official of the City of Murrieta posted the Notice of Election, which included the nomination period for the three Council Members seats between Monday, July 18, 2022 at 7:30 a.m. and Friday, August 12, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
- By close of the nomination period on Friday, August 12, 2022, more than one candidate filed and qualified for Districts 2 and 5.
- By the close of the nomination period on Friday, August 12, 2022, only one person filed and qualified for District 1. Due to term limits, the incumbent in District 1 is ineligible to file papers to run again for this office at this time.
The person so nominated for District 1 is:
Jon Levell – District 1
- Pursuant to California Elections Code §10229, if only one person is nominated to be elected from or by a legislative district, one of the following courses of action may be taken by the City Council:
1. Appoint to the office the person who has been nominated.
2. Appoint to the office any eligible voter if no one has been nominated.
3. Hold the election if either no one or only one person has been nominated.
- If by the 75th day before the municipal election (August 25, 2022), no person has been appointed to the office pursuant to (1) or (2) above, the election shall be held.
- If the City Council makes an appointment pursuant to §10229 of the California Elections Code, the City Clerk/Local Elections Official shall not accept for filing any statement of write-in candidacy which is submitted after the appointment is made.
- If the City Council makes an appointment pursuant to §10229 of the California Elections Code, the person appointed, if any, shall qualify and take office and serve exactly as if elected at a municipal election for the office. This would also result in the cancellation of the City Council Member District 1 portion of the City’s General Municipal Election to be held on November 8, 2022. Districts 2 and 5 will continue as scheduled.
- A notice of these facts shall be posted and published in a newspaper of general circulation as designated by the city elections official.
This matter will be considered by the City Council at a Special Meeting to be determined. For more information, please contact the City Clerk’s Department at (951) 461-6031 or via e-mail at [email protected].
Dated this 15th day of August, 2022.
City Clerk/Local Elections Official
Published: August 19, 2022