Virtual Parks & Recreation
Welcome to the City of Murrieta’s Parks & Recreation Virtual Resource Center! This is your place for helpful resources, education at home and most importantly FUN during these uncharted times. We are committed to ensuring that our resilient community members have resources to maintain healthy lives, grow meaningful relationships and continue to have extraordinary experiences.
Visit this page often or follow us on Facebook for new updates and ideas to keep you and your loved ones healthy, entertained and informed. Please note that we do not endorse or receive funds to advertise any of the third-party sites or services listed or referenced on this page.
Have a great idea or resource you’d like to share? Email us!
Unsure how to explain COVID-19 to your child? Don’t worry, Slim Goodbody has the perfect video for you! Click here!
Stay current on COVID-19 updates by visiting our website www.MurrietaCA.gov/coronavirus.
Parks and Recreation Month - Photo Contest
Each July, cities, districts, and numerous agencies across the United States find ways for their communities to explore everything local parks and recreation has to offer from playgrounds to rec centers, sports leagues, summer camps and more during July is Parks and Recreation Month!! This year has proved to be more challenging than ever before. This nation, this world, is facing a pandemic, systemic racism, unprecedented numbers of homeless, hunger, unemployment, and economic challenges beyond anything imaginable. We’ve all had to pivot to find alternate ways of teaching our students, getting in touch, caring for one another, and even recreating. This is why, for this July, the City of Murrieta wants to find out what recreation means to you by hosting a photo contest. It could be anything from a favorite memory at an event, a milestone reached in a particular City-run class or program, your favorite hiking trail, or even an architectural feature unique to Murrieta. It does not have to be an image from the past either. Even though sports and other class programming are still on hold during the COVID crisis, we encourage the community to get out and discover something new about the City’s parks. Be creative in your adventuring…disc golf, dog parks, fishing, flying kites, hiking, tennis, and more are still open.
Photo Contest Category Winners
Sunrise/Sunset - Ricardo Pimentel
Lifestyle - Kalene Watson
Outdoors/Architectural - Danielle Leseberg
Parks and Recreation Instructors
For more information on class details or upcoming classes, please contact Michelle Hamilton at (951) 461-6111.
Vidal Kenpo (Darryl Vidal)
- Youtube Instructional Video 1
- Youtube Instructional Video 2
- Youtube Instructional Video 3
- Youtube Instructional Video 4
Celine Coussou - View Celine’s cooking content on her Instagram page HERE
Challenger Sports (Tiny Tykes Soccer) - Go check out the numerous virtual soccer classes by clicking HERE.
Gus Poletti - View Gus’s Tai Chi and instructional content on his Facebook page HERE
Mini Sports Skills with Janet Carbajal - Check out this awesome promotional video to learn more about the program. Click HERE to view.
Miss April’s Dance - View all of the awesome content that Miss April shares on her Facebook page HERE
Music Pups - View instructor Carol Meeks promotional video about her Music Pups program HERE.
My Varsity Gymnastics - Learn fitness routines hosted by My Varsity Gymnastics recreation staff by clicking HERE.
Skyhawks Sports Academy - View Skyhawks Sports virtual summer series classes by clicking HERE.
Connect with Others
Although we’re all social distancing physically, as humans we need to stay connected emotionally. Try one or two of these out every day.
- Call a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to in a while to check-in.
- Write a letter.
- Support a local restaurant. Many restaurants are still open for takeout or delivery orders.
- Support your favorite joints and order food for pick up or try out Doordash or Ubereats and have it brought to you.
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate.
- Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep.
- Make time to unwind.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Mindfulness is a type of meditation in which you focus on being intensely aware of what you’re sensing and feeling in the moment, without interpretation or judgment. Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress.
Arts and Crafts
- Happiness is Homemade - Let your kids express themselves through art! This website has great ideas for all ages.
- What Moms Solve - Arts and Crafts in motion! Let your kids help build obstacle courses, games, and other fun activities to keep everyone entertained.
- Busy Toddler - 40+ Indoor activities.
- DIY Friendship Bracelets - Learn how to make a Friendship Bracelet!
- DIY BirdFeeder - Learn how to make a pinecone birdfeeder!
- DIY Lava Lamp - Learn how to make a Lava Lamp at home.
- Crayola - FREE coloring sheets for download.
- Art Hub for Kids - Have your child watch and learn at-home art lessons.
- Promenade Mall - Learn how to make fun 3-D art projects and even Origami projects!
- Kids Activities Blog - There are a lot of companies offering free subscriptions right now.
- PBS Socal At-Home Learning - PBS SoCal and KCET provided digital resources you can access to continue learning at home.
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar - In the internationally acclaimed The Very Hungry Caterpillar, a tiny caterpillar eats and eats…and eats his way through the week.
- The Spanish Experiment - Free Spanish lessons for kids.
- Dr. Seuss - Dive into the world of Dr. Seuss by exploring Seussville!
- Stories.Audible - Listen to numerous stories, books and fairy tales for children of all ages.
- We Are Teachers - Visit the We Are Teachers Facebook page for endless items to keep everyone entertained!
- ABCya! - Visit this fun-filled educational site that has learning activities for all ages!
- BrainPop - Keep your children engaged in educational activities for all school subjects.
- RIVCO Safe Routes for All - Online Saftey Series for Kids with interactive and fun activities.
- Good Housekeeping - Need to get some movement into your daily schedule? Here are some fitness studios and gyms offering free workout programs/routines.
- Older Adult Workouts - Here are some great resources for older adults.
- Fitness Blender - How about getting the kids involved?
- Do Yoga With Me - Free Yoga videos.
- Darebee - At home workout plans for everyone.
- BeFit Videos - Hundreds of at-home instructional workouts.
- Make Your Body Work - FREE instructional workouts at the comfort of being at home.
- Hiit Workouts - FREE workouts for children and adults!
- HASfit - FREE exercise videos for the Heart and Soul.
- Harmony Place - Come learn about Endorphins, Running for health, and even the new trend of a Virtual 5k! Thank you to Marissa, Sydney, and Gigi for sharing this resource!
Food and Nutrition
- Murrieta Valley Unified School District is offering "grab and go" meals now through March 27. Check their website for more information and updates by clicking here.
- Senior meal pick-ups are being offered at the Murrieta Senior Center. You must be a current participant of the Murrieta Senior Center lunch program or fill out an application prior to receiving meals. If you are interested, please call 951-461-6109 or email AHalvorson@murrietaca.gov .
- Nomster Chef - Kid friendly recipes to get your little ones involved in the cooking process.
Music and Arts
- Live Nation - View a list of virtual live performances from your favorite artists!
- Mark Kistler - Watch live art instructional videos for FREE.
- Knock Knock - Learn how to make an animated short video at home.
Science and Nature
- Scholastic - Science resources for students.
- US National Parks - Go on 12 virtual hikes of US National Parks from the comfort of your couch.
- Redwood National Park Tour - Go on a virtual hike through Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.
- Aquarium of the Pacific - Engage with their exhibits and animals virtually.
- San Diego Zoo - Watch videos, play games and get engaged with numerous activities.
- Mystery Doug - Watch quick, five-minute videos that help kids learn life’s greatest mysteries.
- Arbor Day Foundation - Educational activities and worksheets explaining the great outdoors.
Travel and Leisure
- Good Housekeeping - Check out this list of museums, zoos, and aquariums offering free virtual tours.
- Explore - Live animal cameras throughout the world.
- Disney - Check out a virtual parade!
- Recreation.org - Helpful tips for indoor (or backyard) camping.
- Travel Alaska - Take virtual tours and explore the marvels of Alaska virtually!
- MSN Lifestyle - This article has all of the top attractions that everyone should virtually visit.