Please find below an assortment of helpful resources ranging from Health and Safety to Unemployment Assistance to Storytime and School-Age Learning Resources.
Online Storytime and Early Literacy Resources
- Murrieta Public Library E-Resources - e-Books, e-magazines, audiobooks and databases are free to access using a Murrieta Public Library card.
- Brightly Storytime - From Read Brightly, this YouTube channel features a new weekly full-length picture book read out loud by storyteller Ms. Linda.
- Cosmic Kids Yoga -To help with panic and anxiety try this YouTube channel which is “yoga, mindfulness and relaxation designed especially for kids aged 3+, used in schools and homes all over the world. “
- First 5 California - Free resources and early literacy tips for families with little ones.
- Flannel Board Fun - YouTube station filled with flannel board songs and rhymes.
- International Children’s Digital Library - ICDL is a nonprofit organization that provides access to the best children’s books of their culture, and cultures around the world regardless of where they live. There are over 4,000 titles in 59 languages to choose from, that you can read to your children.
- KidLit Tv - The KLTV team has created a virtual library of FREE read-alouds, podcasts, crafts & homeschooling drawing & writing resources for kids.
- Miss Nina – Children’s Sing & Move Along Songs - Miss Nina has a mix of original songs, old classics, and popular children’s books read aloud and paired with music.
- StoryBlocks - Storyblocks is a collection of 30-60 second videos designed to model to parents, caregivers, and library staff some songs, rhymes, and fingerplays appropriate for early childhood. Includes 9 languages.
- Storyline Online - Storyline Online is an award-winning, interactive children’s literacy site that features famous actors like Kevin Costner, Betty White, James Earl Jones, Eva Longoria, and others reading children’s books alongside minor animation elements.
- Story Time from Space - Astronauts from the International Space Station read children’s books in outer space for children on earth to listen to. They have science videos that complement the books.
Authors Reading Their Books
- Grace Lin - The author is reading her books on her YouTube channel.
- Jerry Pallotta - The author is reading his books on his YouTube channel.
- Mac Barnett - The author is reading his books daily on Instagram Live.
- Mo Willems - Mo Willems invites YOU into his studio every day for his LUNCH DOODLE. Learners worldwide can draw, doodle and explore new ways of writing by visiting Mo’s studio virtually once a day for the next few weeks.
- Oliver Jeffers - The author is reading his books daily on Instagram Live.
- Todd Parr - The author is reading his books on his YouTube channel.
School Age Learning Resources
- Murrieta Public Library E-Resources - eBooks and audiobooks and other digital materials are free to check out using a Murrieta Public Library card.
- Learning and Educational E-Resources - Learning Express database includes, tests, tutorials and, e-books for elementary, middle, and high school age. Can be accessed using a Murrieta Public Library card.
- All Kids Network - Resources for parents, teachers and anyone who works with children. We’ve got thousands of fun kid’s activities like kid’s crafts, worksheets, coloring pages, printable mazes, dot to dot, hidden pictures and more.
- Aquarium of the Pacific Online Learning - The Aquarium has many online videos and activities for kids, adults, and families to enjoy together, including educational and animal-themed content.
- Bedtime Math - Bedtime Math is striving to help families introduce math as a fun part of their daily routine, as common and beloved as the bedtime story. We make it easy to roll math into the day, whether at bedtime, bath time, or snack time.
- Biology Simulations - Biology Simulations helps students to learn about biology and practice data analysis skills. These simulations allow students to experiment with concepts that may take too much time or too many resources to complete in a traditional science lab setting.
- Camp Invention - Hands-on STEM activity guide.
- ChemMatters Online - The American Chemical Society’s ChemMatters magazine is available online. Targeted for high schoolers and includes articles and videos.
- The Concord Consortium - A collection of hundreds of free K-12 STEM resources, from standalone models and simulations to short activities and weeklong sequences of curriculum materials.
- Discovery K12 - Discovery K12 provides a complete online curriculum for pre-k to 12th grade. All main subjects are covered, plus extra curriculum courses.
- Dreamscape - Engaging reading game for grades 2-8 that combines strategy, engagement, and imaginative reading passages to create a fun, curriculum-aligned literacy game.
- ELearning Projects - To help districts where students are working remotely, we are offering teachers and students complimentary access to customized e-learning projects on Defined Learning. Each engaging project is based on a situation in a career and is complete with an authentic performance task that is specifically tailored for the student at home.
- Hour of Code Activities - Try a one-hour coding tutorial designed for all ages in over 45 languages.
- Khan Academy - Nonprofit with the mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
- Marco Learning - Marco Learning was created to help students gain confidence in their AP® classes and improve on AP® exams. Courses have been developed by a community of experienced AP® teachers, tutors, authors, and designers.
- Math Playground - Math Playground provides hundreds of math games, logic puzzles and educational resources. All math games and resources are free through the end of June 2020.
- Mystery Science - To help during school closures, Mystery Science has gone through all their lessons, pulled the easiest ones to do from home, and put them all up for free. No signup required.
- New American History - Access to digital learning resources and tools developed by Dr Ed Ayers for American History, Geography, and Current Events.
- The New York Times Learning Network - The Learning Network publishes about 1,000 teaching resources each school year, all based on using Times content — articles, essays, images, videos, graphics and podcasts — as teaching tools across subject areas.
- PBS Learning Media - PBS Learning Media is a free, PreK-12 digital media service available to educators nationwide. Our free service offers teachers access to more than 30,000 learning materials aligned to state and national standards, including 25,000+ videos, interactive lesson plans, media galleries and more to enrich classroom instruction.
- San Diego Zoo Live Cams - Live and archived videos of animals at the San Diego Zoo.
- Scholastic Learn at Home - Even when schools are closed, you can keep the learning going with these special cross-curricular journeys. Every day includes four separate learning experiences, each built around a thrilling, meaningful story or video. Kids can do them on their own, with their families, or with their teachers.
- Story Jumper - Create, collaborate, illustrate, and narrate Story Jumper books online for free!
- Typing Club - Learn touch typing for free!
- Typing.com - Free lessons on keyboarding, digital literacy, and coding
Health and Safety
- California Department of Public Health - Up-to-date information on reported COVID-19 cases in the state of California.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) - Up-to-date information on COVID-19 including recommendations for protecting yourself, home, and family, and number of reported cases throughout the United States.
- City of Murrieta - For the latest information regarding the City of Murrieta’s response to COVID-19, including event cancellations, and school and public building closures.
- Riverside County Public Health - Up-to-date information on COVID-19 including current mandated closures regarding schools, events, and public buildings within the county of Riverside.
- World Health Organization (WHO) - Up-to-date information on COVID-19 including travel recommendations, protecting yourself, and number of reported cases worldwide.
- When and How to Wash Your Hands - Best practices and instructions on hand washing.
- Murrieta Valley Unified School District - Information on school closures and COVID-19 updates.
- Riverside Community College District (RCCD) - Information regarding campus closures for Moreno Valley College, Norco College, and Riverside City College, student recourses, and updates on COVID-19.
- Mt. San Jacinto College - Information regarding campus closures for Mt. San Jacinto College and updates on COVID-19.
- UC Riverside (UCR) - Information regarding UCR’s campus closure, student support, and current COVID-19 updates and resources.
Unemployment and Financial Assistance
- Employment Development Department (EDD)-State of California - The EDD provides a variety of support services to individuals affected by COVID-19 in California.
- Bank of America - Amid news about the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are committed to doing everything we can to meet your banking and investing needs. We’re here for you with the solutions, support, and advice you need to manage your finances and to navigate the volatility of the market.
- Chase Bank - If you’re affected by COVID-19 and need help with your accounts or making payments, please reach out to us. We’re doing our best to stay connected with you, so check back here for updates. We’ll include financial tips that might be helpful.
- Internet Services - AT&T, Charter, Comcast, Cox, Verizon, and other internet service providers introduce consumer-friendly policy changes in response to COVID-19.
- SoCal Edison (SCE) - As the World Health Organization declares the coronavirus a pandemic, Southern California Edison is helping customers with their bills by suspending service disconnections for non-payment and waiving late fees for business and residential customers impacted by the COVID-19.
- SoCalGas - As the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation continues to develop, we are doing everything we can to enhance the safety and wellbeing of our customers and employees. We are also committed to providing safe and reliable service and we do not anticipate any service disruptions at this time.