The Murrieta Police Department's Explorer Program is open to young men and women ages 14 (and who have completed the 8th grade) and not yet 21 years old with an interest in learning more about careers in the field of law enforcement.
The Explorer Program provides educational training programs for young adults on the purposes, mission, and objectives of law enforcement. The program provides career orientation experiences, leadership opportunities, and community service activities. The primary goals of the program are to help young adults choose a career path within law enforcement and to challenge them to become responsible citizens of their communities and the nation.
Explorers meet every Wednesday night from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm and the location can vary.
Requirements to Join
- Be 14 to 20 years of age
- Be able to partake in physical activity
- Be a City of Murrieta resident or student in Murrieta (including private/charter schools)
- Have access to the Internet for our explorer message board whether on your smart phone or home computer
- Maintain a +2.0 GPA and have no failing grades
- Be able to commit to meetings every Wednesday from 5PM-8PM
- Be able to commit to some weekends for special events as requested
- Minimal disciplinary issues at school, home, and negative contacts with law enforcement.
- There are no costs to join except being able to purchase a pair of black uniform boots (various local stores sell them)
The most popular law enforcement exploring careers include:
- Correction Officers
- Federal Agents
- Military Police
- Police Officers
- Probation Officers
- State Police/Highway Patrol
The Explorer Program combines some classroom training with ride-alongs in police vehicles, pistol shooting, community policing and much more.
You will develop:
- Law enforcement protocols
- Leadership skills
- New personal skills
- Respect for Police Officers and Explorers
You will learn:
- Basic law enforcement tactics
- Interview skills
- Proper equipment usage
- Steps to achieve a career in law enforcement
You will have an opportunity to participate in:
- Community service
- National events and competitions
You will learn about the educational requirements for a career in law enforcement and will receive tangible advice on steps you could take now to prepare and position yourself for a successful career in the field of Law Enforcement.
How to Join
Contact Officer Byrne by email with your interest to join and to receive further instructions. Additionally, please complete the below Explorer Application, Media Waiver, Liability Waiver, and email them to Officer Byrne or drop them off at the police department attention to Officer Byrne.