The City Clerk is the local official that serves as a neutral liaison between citizens and government by ensuring transparent processes in concert with departmental values of professionalism, integrity, teamwork, and accountability. The City Clerk acts as a compliance officer for federal, state, and local statutes, including the Political Reform Act, Ralph M. Brown Act, and the Public Records Act. The City Clerk's department:
- Prepares and disseminates meeting agendas and minutes and prepares commendations.
- Maintains Citywide records, provides access to City records, and maintains the Murrieta Municipal Code.
- Administers fair and impartial elections for City Council Candidates and measures and conducts voter registration.
- Processes all Resolutions, Ordinances, contracts, insurance, deeds, and official documents.
- Serves as the compliance officer for Campaign Finance Disclosure and Conflict of Interest Statements and ethics code and training compliance.
- Coordinates recruitments for City Commission appointments and records minute actions.
- Publishes legal notices and bid openings and logs claims.