Community Development Block Grants
We are now accepting applications for the 2023/2024 grant cycle. Please review application information for submission requirements.
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) is a federally-funded program created by Congress in 1974 that awards grants to local governments to develop viable communities by providing decent housing, suitable living environments, programs, and expanding economic opportunities, principally for persons of low- and moderate-income.
Every year, CDBG funds are allocated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to state and local governments to carry out a wide-range of community development activities directed toward revitalizing neighborhoods, economic development, and providing improved community facilities and services.
In order to qualify, CDBG-funded projects must satisfy one of three national program objectives:
- Provide a benefit to low and moderate income persons,
- Prevent or eliminate slums and blight, or
- Meet other urgent community development needs due to natural disasters or other emergencies.
Examples of eligible activities are:
- Public Services: senior services, disabled and handicapped services, child care services, health services, youth services, fair housing, crime prevention activities and economic development activities that create jobs
- Public Improvements: streets, curbs, gutters, sidewalks, streetlights, sewers, storm drains, traffic signals, parks and recreation facilities, health facilities, and fire station improvements
- Housing Services: home improvement programs for lower and moderate income households
- Senior Home Repair (SHR)
- Home Rehabilitation Program (HRP)
Examples of Ineligible activities:
- General government expenses
- Political or Religious Activities
- Purchase of personal equipment such as fixtures, motor vehicles, furnishings, or other personal property that is not an integral structural fixture
Who is primarily funded by the CDBG program?
- Cooperating Cities
- Higher Education Institutions
- Non-Profits 501(c)(3)
- Other Government Agencies/Special Districts