Hazardous Materials (HazMat)

Murrieta Fire & Rescue protects our community by inspecting, pre-planning, and monitoring those businesses that handle hazardous materials in our City. The Riverside County Department of Environmental Health Hazardous Materials Branch is the City of Murrieta’s Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) responsible for administrating all six program elements of the Unified Program within our jurisdiction. 

The Unified Program consolidates, coordinates, and makes consistent the following hazardous materials and hazardous waste programs:

  • Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tanks (APST
  • California Accidental Release Prevention Program (ARP)
  • Hazardous Materials Release Response Plans and Inventories
  • Hazardous Waste Generation, including on-site treatment under Tiered Permitting
  • Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Plan (SPCC)
  • Underground Storage Tanks (UST)
  • Uniform Fire Code Hazardous Materials Management Plans and Inventories

Who Needs a Permit

Permits are required for any business that handles or stores hazardous materials, and any business which generates, stores, or treats hazardous waste.

Who to Contact for More Information

Riverside County Environmental Health Hazardous Materials Branch
800 S Sanderson Avenue
Suite 102
Hemet, CA 92545

You can call them at 951-766-6524 or send them a fax at 951-791-1778.

United Program Forms

View Unified Program Forms at the Riverco website.

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

The health and safety of residents in our community and the environment is endangered when household products containing harmful chemicals are discarded in household garbage, sinks and storm drains. Murrieta residents are encouraged to follow proper steps to dispose of household hazardous waste by dropping it off at a free local household hazardous waste collection event.