Sales Tax

Sales and use tax must be charged on the sale of all tangible personal property that is delivered or placed into use within Murrieta city limits, and does not apply to medical prescriptions and most groceries purchased for home preparation. For more information about sales and use tax exemptions please refer to the State Board of Equalization publications listed below.

The following Board of Equalization publications relate to district taxes (Sales & Use Taxes):  

Quarterly Sales Tax Reports

Property Taxes

Owners of property in Murrieta are required to pay property tax to Riverside County. Pay your property taxes online and check your payment status.

Contact the Tax Assessor

  • Riverside County Tax Assessor's Office: 951-600-6200
  • 24 Hour Automated Tax Line: 951-955-3900

Driving Directions

Transaction and Use Tax

Visit our City Clerk's webpage to learn about our Transaction and Use Tax Oversight Committee.

Transient Occupancy Tax

The Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) is a tax paid for a nightly stay for a lodging establishment within the City. The owner and/or the owner’s authorized agent or representative shall comply with all provisions of Chapter 3.24 (Transient Occupancy Tax) of the Murrieta Municipal Code concerning the payment of Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT), including, but not limited to, submission of a monthly reporting and remitting requirements in compliance with Section 3.24.080 of the Murrieta Municipal Code, which shall be required to be filed monthly even if the short-term vacation rental was not rented during such month. This calculation shall include “cleaning fees”, “resort fees”, and “other” fees as part of the total “rent” charged for the short-term vacation rental.

For more information regarding Short-Term Vacation Rental Permits and how to pay your Transient Occupancy Tax visit Development Service's webpage.